Saturday, October 1, 2011

Why I like being lazy

About a year ago one of my colleagues told me I was working too hard. I thanked him for what I thought was a compliment upon my ability to get things done. However, he went on to explain that by doing too much for other people they were actually doing less themselves and that in doing less they were actually learning less.

The notion that by doing less you can get pupils to do more is one that is explained in Jim Smith's "The Lazy Teacher's Handbook" - it's well worth a read. All too often experienced teachers make the mistake of saying too much and providing too much guidance to pupils. Why not try doing to opposite: Shut up and back off - it has become a favourite piece of guidance that I now pass on to others. You might be surprised by how much your pupils achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment